If you want to know how to make green tea using a gaiwan you first have to own one ( checkout this link to find out what is a gaiwan). For green tea, the bigger gaiwan are more appropriate as they offer more space to expand, a property so loved by green teas.
This method is better to be used with average to medium green teas.
- rinse the gaiwan with some water
- put the leaves on the bottom of the gaiwan
- Fill 1/3 with cold water
- Wait 10-20 seconds
- Fill the rest of the gaiwan with boiling water.
- Wait 30-45 seconds (or longer, to taste)
- Pour into a serving vessel and drink
- Repeat the process until tea keeps taste
If you drink the tea directly from the gaiwan, refill with water when you reach 1/3 of the gaiwan.
This method is more appropriate for medium quality teas, especially flat ones.
- first you fill the gaiwan with 1/3 hot water
- then you slowly add the green tea leaves one by one
- pour the rest of the water
- wait 30-40 seconds
- Pour into another vessel and serve
- For the next infusions you can fully fill with hot water
This is a method that is most appropriate when making high quality chinese green tea.
- preheat the gaiwan with boiling water
- put the tea leaves in the gaiwan
- pour boiling water
- Put the lid on and wait 15-30 secs
- Pour into another vesel and server
- Re-infuse as many times as necessary.